Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Greek Meat Sauce for Hot Dogs


Go check out the recipes from TMTT, there's a great group of bloggers there that share some yummy recipes! 

I LOVE this sauce on hot dogs.  It's a family recipe, from my MIL whose family owned many restaurants here in PA.  I used 1/2 lb ground beef for the Bacon-Cheeseburger pizza, so I whipped this up for dinner tonight!

To get the right consistency, it is important you do NOT brown the meat first.

Greek Meat Sauce for Hot Dogs

1/2 lb ground beef (I use 80/20)
1/2 large onion, finely chopped (I whirl in my food processor)
6oz can tomato paste
1.5 cups of water
2 tsp chili powder
A shake or two of cayenne pepper
1 tsp dry mustard
1 shake Worcestershire sauce
Salt & Pepper to taste (I usually use garlic salt and regular salt)

Heat saucepan over medium heat.  Put about 1 tsp or so of oil in your pan, when heated, add onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.  Turn the heat to low, add the tomato paste, then the meat, the water and stir, breaking up the meat completely.  Your goal is to have little bits of meat.  Add the rest of the seasonings, adjusting to taste.  I personally add more cayenne and chili powder cause that's how I like it!  Simmer for a good hour.

I think the best way to eat this sauce is to grill or sear the hot dogs until they are brown, spread mustard on a toasted/buttered bun and top with onions and cheese.

Enjoy!

No comments: